header image

INDT 501 – Reflection Week 6 – The Flipped Classroom

OK, I have to start off talking about Edmodo. I know it is not one of the sites we were asked to join as part of our PLN, but I am in love with it. It is Facebook for class, and this is something my students will absolutely respond to! I can set up different groups for different classes. I can post videos, assignments, and reminders and have my students communicate with me and each other throughout the week. We have an online communications system set up through our district, but Edmodo is so familiar (since it’s so similar to Facebook) that I feel it will be more readily accepted. I plan to try it with two of my classes this spring to see how it goes. This leads me into the flipped classroom concept.

I absolutely love the concept of a flipped classroom, and I think Edmodo would be a wonderful vehicle to use to implement the flipped concept. What is a flipped classroom? The way I understand it is that the teacher posts lessons online in the form of videos (mostly) for the students to watch at home on their own time. Then, class time is freed up for more activities, discussion, and practice. Lectures that are normally slated for class time are completed for homework, and practice that is often given as homework is now done in class, thus the class is “flipped.”

This sounds wonderful, but after watching several videos and ready many of the articles about it, I am left with more questions than answers. For example, what about the students who have no computers or internet? I know they can come in before or after school or during allotted time throughout the day, so that’s one answer, however what if they don’t do any of that either? Inevitably, there will be students who don’t complete the work in any situation, but with this particular model, the teacher is relying heavily on the students to get the lessons on their own time. I also wondered about the videos that showed students with their iPods, phones, and headphones on. These items are all banned at my school, and I wondered about getting around school rules for things like that. And there is a major time factor at play here. I believe it would take a tremendous amount of time for a teacher to record all of these lessons.

This being said, I am still in favor of this idea. I actually think that in the long run, the students will prefer it. It is probably one of those things that is difficult at first, but with time, becomes easier. My class is not very lecture heavy to begin with, but I do think it would be fun to try this out for the lessons that I do have to talk for a while to teach. I would really like to get my students signed up for Edmodo this spring, and to try to post a couple of my lectures and Powerpoint lessons as homework, just to see how they respond to it. I have a feeling I’m going to enjoy it as well!

References:
Bermann, J. & Sams, A. [Learning4Maetery]. (2010, 12 16). The Flipped Classroom. Retreived from
http://www.youtube.com

~ by bwebber on .

INDT 501