header image

INDT 501- Reflection Week 7 – Shared Sticky Notes

I will get to the sticky notes topic, but before I do, I just have to take a few moments to talk about presentations. I must reflect a little bit on the Lessig Method. I watched the file of his presentation on free culture, and I was absolutely fascinated! I mean about the subject itself, not necessarily the style of presentation. I know I was supposed to be studying the style, but I couldn’t stop thinking about Free Culture. I guess that means it was a good presentation.

The information about the Lessig Method and Pecha Kucha was intriguing. I had not heard of these methods before, though I have definitely seen presentations that follow this concept. Having taken many psychology classes in my educational endeavors, I can see how these types of presentations work better for learning. I just have never really thought about it before. I am guilty of using PowerPoint, and though I rarely read my slides out loud as my presentation, I do feel the PowerPoint presentations I give are boring and not engaging, I have tried to “spice them up,” but never really had the know how to make them truly powerful. These methods have definitely gotten me to re-think my presentation style.

I think that presenting information out loud – lecture style – while pictures or key words flash on the Smart Board, is a great idea for a talk or a motivational speech, but for a lesson in a ninth grade English class, I am not so sure. I tried to think about the kinds of lessons that I use lecturing for. For example, I often lecture a bit at the beginning of a new unit, to introduce the topic; but I also lecture when I need students to learn certain grammar or writing rules. I thought about my students trying to copy down the notes, in 20 seconds or less, while I talk on and on about the rules with examples and pictures flashing behind me. I also thought about my students with disabilities and those who just need to hear and see the words in order to copy the notes. I came to the conclusion that this type of presentation would be best used for introductions to units. For example, we are about to embark on reading The Odyssey. I often start by talking about Greek Mythology. I could create a presentation where the Smart Board displays images and names of the Greek gods and goddesses while I fill in with information about who they were and why the were important. This could work to motivate and inspire, but when they are taking notes, or actively trying to learn difficult concepts … I;m not quite convinced yet.

On the other hand, I do really like making concept maps. Here is an example of one I am working on for persuasive writing.
c-map

I realize it’s a little hard to see here, but the finished product will be available in my portfolio at some point.

On to Shared Sticky notes – the intended subject. I absolutely love Wallwisher – or Padlet as it is now called. I have already started three walls! One will be for my classes to learn about the comma rules. They will post their example sentences for each of the rules that I have posted. The second I will use with The Odyssey, and I will be using it in conjunction with another teacher. Both of our classes are reading at the same time, but we rarely have the chance to bring all of our students together. The third wall i started will be for the teachers only. We will be using it to post our lesson ideas for Romeo and Juliet so that we can share lessons and even post what worked/didn’t work when we try them. I also want to try next year, to incorporate other subjects and have students from history. science, and English classes all posting on the same wall about how they are using the concepts we all teach across the curriculum. I can see this going in many different directions, and I am thrilled to have learned about it!

References:

www.padlet.com

~ by bwebber on .

INDT 501

4 Responses to “INDT 501- Reflection Week 7 – Shared Sticky Notes”

1. I agree that PadLet is awesome! I cannot wait until I start teaching and create a plethora of these boards! Do you think your students will enjoy contributing to your walls?

2. Hi Barbara – I love that you took time to write about our other assignments for this week. Your bubble map is really looking great! I also looked through your sticky note board and you found some great ways to incorporate them into your class. I found it interesting to see how this tool could be used in so many different subjects. Also – i love that you took time to make each board have an appropriate them to the topic. I’m sure your students will have a great response to this!

thanks! Casey

3. I think they will. We have testing going on this month, so the computers are tied up. I am hoping to try Padlet out right after the testing ends. Thanks!

4. Wow, I need to see you for a few pointers on creating concept maps! That’s a skill I really struggle with, and yours is great! I really loved your creative ideas for Padlet, especially using it as a space for just teachers to collaborate (I would’ve never thought of that!). Teachers are so busy and running on their own schedules that they often don’t get the time to collaborate in-person with their co-workers, but it is so valuable to do so. Of course, we all have plenty of time in front of our computer screens, so I think that’s a great way for teachers to “meet” and contribute ideas.

Nice post!